22 November 2012

Glug


Hosted by Agency Rush, and Crush Creative design agency in Brighton, Glug is a celebration of collaborative creativity, culminating in a night of speakers, live art and pop-up shops. 'More Notworking than Networking'  Who wouldn't enjoy that??

I was asked to be involved as one of the 5 artists creating a piece on a 4ft board throughout the night. The theme was 'Gunpowder, Treason & Plot'.

I took inspiration from the medal that King James I had made just after the discovery of the plotters, which was an engraving of a serpent laying amongst flowers. Shakespeare shortly after wrote Macbeth, and there were subtle references to the gunpowder plot within the play. The words here I have painted are what Lady Macbeth says to Macbeth:

'Look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under it'

OK the muskets aren't totally relevant but I had to find an excuse to paint them as I had a fab book with tons of illustrated guns which I picked up at a boot fair recently. T'was a brilliant night with tons of lovely people!




No comments: